Sony assures users information is safe after hack attack

      Comments Off on Sony assures users information is safe after hack attack

shutterstock_162352790Hackers hit the Sony Corporation’s huge PlayStation network. This comes in the same week a bomb threat was made to a flight carrying a top Sony executive in US. Sony issued a statement on their PlayStation blog explaining that the network was taken down by a denial of service attack, but reassured customers that none of the personal data of its 53 million users had been compromised.

A user with the Twitter handle @LizardSquad claimed responsibility for the data breach on Sunday, Reuters said. The purported hacker said the attack was carried out to warn the Japan-based firm that more profits needed to be spent on data security.  “Sony, yet another large company, but they aren’t spending the waves of cash they obtain on their customers’ [PlayStation Network] service. End the greed,” said one @LizardSquad post on Sunday.

In other unsubstantiated claims, the user said that Blizzard Entertainment, the maker of World of Warcraft, had been targeted and also threatened Microsoft’s Xbox Live network.

The posts took an alarming turn when @LizardSquad tweeted at American Airlines on Sunday, claiming to know that explosives were aboard a flight being taken by Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley.

See the full story on time.com

Share